We live in a world where it is dominated by technology. Children at the age of 2-3 years old are able to use technology better than the “older” generation. Certain things like books are affected by this growing domination of technology.
Physical Books: Tactile Tradition
- More User Experience: Everyone loves to be able to highlight and Post-it certain quotes and passages within a book. This brings back the familiarity and tradition. Something about this organized chaos brought by the countless post-its and different colored highlighters doesn’t give the same pleasure when you do the same thing electronically.
- Eco-Friendliness: Most printed books now days are printed with recycled materials meaning that you are also doing something good for the environment. Whereas having a E-Books means that you are using batteries for the device to run.
- Sentimentality And Monetary Values: Books printed from the 1960s market value tend to be higher than an older piece of electronic device. Certain collectors prefer Classic printed books and obsolete books making the market value increase.
- Handling: Some books are more delicate especially when they are at least 10 years older; therefore, they may be unsuitable for children of younger age to handle.
- Price And Rarity: Certain new releases may be unavailable in your area meaning that you need to buy it online; therefore, it requires an extra cost for shipping. Rare books written by famous authors can be sold a premium price
- Lighter: Most E-Books and devices now days are lighter; therefore, they are easy to carry around. With devices smaller and screens are maximized for the reader’s pleasure, E-Books are perfect for children and also adults who are always on the move but still want to be able to read.
- Multi-Tasking Abilities: Without having to flip pages, you are free to multitask. While you are downloading a game or an app, you could catch up on the latest Hunger Games book or even Game of Thrones.
- Cheaper Content: The prices of E-books are significantly cheaper than its printed counterpart making it a go-to choice for more and more people. Once publishers release new titles, readers have the ability to purchase and download it straight on their devices.
- Battery Reliant: Kindle and devices are battery reliant meaning they are dependent on its battery to operate. To be able to keep enjoying your favorite E-Book, make sure you have your charger with you when you’re out and about and keep it charged at all times.
- Lack Of Tactile Feel: Devices and Kindle do mimic the page turning action, it still lacks that more traditional feel of being able to physical turn a page over.
Contributor: Owen MARIE
What Do You Think?